Saturday, September 10, 2011

Here and there and everywhere

Summer is over it seems. Wednesday, Kiera headed back to school. She was so excited for first grade. Me, not so much.  But I won’t bore you all with my sadness and how I can’t believe how fast the first six years of her life have went and how my days are no longer filled with her cute little laughter and chatter but instead by silence and how….. Wait. I got off track. Back to Kiera. She was so excited, mainly because she now gets to eat lunch at school and gets not just one, but three recesses. I guess the learning fits in there somewhere.




But before September came, we had many days of summer fun. In August, our home was filled with visitors. First, Dave’s mom and her friend Teri came to visit us. We had lots of fun with them, although there was a little bit of a stomach flu that interrupted a few of our days. But we still had time to go yard saling and introduce Teri to the goodwill bins. We want them to come back soon!!!

Grammy and Kiera

Dave, Kiera, Grammy and Teri
 
The day they left, Dave finished his first set of finals for his third year of optometry school. Yay! In celebration, he and some of the guys went to Seattle for a few rounds of golf and a Mariners game. (Mikelle, I stole your photo!)

Jake, Eric, Dylan, Dave and Paul
 
And that same day, Michele came to visit! I was so excited to have her here. We spent many late nights up, giggling mainly about things that would be funny to no one but us. I secretly think Dave was glad he wasn’t here for those first few days of her trip so that he didn’t have to hear us laugh over practically nothing. Like a list that I still have from our senior year of things we said that we thought were downright hilarious. And they are, even now. Even the ones we don’t understand. Anyway…..we had a blast together.

Shopping at Freddie's too late. Yes, Kiera is in her pjs.

Taking these pics made us laugh a lot, and we didn't know Kiera was peeking between us. I'm pretty sure the waiter was wishing we would leave.


My girl and me
 
We ate at Cheesecake factory, where we watched a woman fall right off a bar stool onto the tile floor. One of the funniest things ever, seriously. And I don’t even think she was drunk.

At Cheesecake


We also played tourist. We went to the coast, ate at Mo’s and took Michele to a vineyard. If she ever comes back, it will be to go to a vineyard, not to see me. JK. Kinda. Anyway, her visit went way too fast and I miss her lots.

Beautiful day on Cannon Beach

Kiera loves the water...even if it is freezing cold and practically gives you an instant headache the minute you dip your toes in it.

Me, Kiera and Chele

At Mo's

It must have been a hat day.

Our little family

Dave and I


Michele and I

Seriously, hat day?

I love Kiera playing in the background.
There were several jellyfish right up on the beach. I'd never seen this before. Kinda cool and really creepy.
We drove up the coast to Astoria, across this awesome bridge that is miles long and then onto Longview, Washington. For some reason, we also thought it would be fun to jump in the air and take photos. And it was. Although the bottom of my feet hurt pretty bad the next day. The sand is not as soft as you’d think, or else it’s because we had to retake and retake and retake….

Jump, Jump

We laughed so much doing this

Strong family
Michele with the Astoria bridge behind her
 
The day after SHE left, my good friend Tracy and I enjoyed an amazing spa day in Vancouver. Our hubbies spoiled us with a day at the spa since we put up with them being gone all the live long day and we never, ever complain. Oh. Maybe that’s not why. But either way, we enjoyed a pedicure, manicure, massage and facial. And a steam, which we really didn’t do because it was so hot. Instead we sat out in the entrance to the steam room, chatting and eating chocolate which really, is just as fantastic. 

7 hours of relaxation plus a delicious lunch plus shopping plus a great friend is pure bliss
 
The next day (see, I told you we had a lot of visitors) my Dad, Deb, Margot and Deb’s parents Mary and Larry came to see us. We once again played tourist – which seriously, I enjoy. I never get sick of the coast or any of the other amazing Oregon places.


Dave, Margot and I at Multnomah Falls
                                     
Dad and I at Multnomah

Kiera telling Grandpa stories
 
Margot and Kiera at Rockaway Beach
Um......no idea

We visited the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinneville. It is an incredible museum that is home to the Spruce Goose. Since Dave and I have been there several times, Margot, Dave, Kiera and I went to the newly opened water park beside the museum. It is airplane themed – complete with a 747 on top of it. No joke. We had a blast! 

Waterpark

We saw these huge cookies for sale at Multnomah Falls, so the next day I made one for Larry.

Flying a kite

Grandpa and Kiera


We found this Air Museum in Tillamook. It was closed for the day, but I'm sure we will go back. Dave is dying to see the planes inside and Margot wants to ask them how they painted those letters on that huge building. By the way, the museum is housed in a former military blimp hangar called "Hangar B", which is the largest clear-span wooden structure in the world.
                             
Margot and I with Larry and Mary at Montinore Vineyards
Deb, Margot, Larry and Mary


And then to the Oregon Air Show, which for all you people who live here (and even those who don’t) this is a must see! The show starts at 10 and goes until 4 and it is simply unbelievable.

It was the hottest day we'd had all summer. But still so much fun!

This seriously still makes me catch my breath. They look like they are going to crash!

There were F18s, F15s and F16s. They sound so awesome. The sound of freedom. Makes you proud to be an American. They dedicated their performances to a young soldier from our area who was recently killed in Afganistan.



U.S. Patriots

We had so much fun with all of our visitors. All of you come back right away. Our house is quiet and lonely and (oh wait, I promised I wouldn’t go into this.)


Before Dave headed back to class, we took Kiera to the aquarium in Newport.


Dave scored free tickets to this aquarium! Made it even more fun!
Cute little creek in the entrance to the aquarium
Daddy's girl

And now, Kiera is in school, Dave is in class or in clinic so life as we know it rolls on.




1 comment:

Michele said...

I choked on my gum when I read the comment about the lady at the Cheesecake Factory! That was some funny stuff (At least she was laughing, too.) I Miss You Grubby!!